Engineering Manager & CNC Graphite Machinist
*Please only apply for this job if you are located within a commutable distance to Garstang, (Lancashire) U.K.*
Are you a committed, communicative, and skilledworker with experience in machining and management?
If so, we would love to hear from you.
*Please state clearly your experience with milling/turning machining and management in your application*
We are looking for someone who works well as a part of a close-knit team, has a natural attention to detail, and makes sure to give 110% in solving any problem.
We are one of the largest independent graphite machine facilities in Europe. We have been in the business for four decades, developing our skillset and supplying materials to companies all over the world. Even throughout the recent COVID-19 crisis we have operated at higher levels than previous years, and have recently set out a significant Growth Improvement Plan of which you will be a fundamental part.
In recent years, the carbon and graphite industry has pushed boundaries in science and engineering. This has given manufacturers like us a crucial role to play in the innovation of ground-breaking technologies, making this an exciting industry to be a part of.
Important: Part-time employment/ Flexible hours will be considered for the right candidate should they require family-life balance.
You will oversee a small team at our facility in Garstang, splitting your time between management responsibilities and hands-on machining. Because of this, we need a communicative team-player who also has a great capacity for attention to detail.
Hours per week: 38, This is 6.00 – 16.00 Monday to Thursday, with 30 minutes unpaid per day for lunch. Approximately 50% of the time to be spent machining.
Ultimately responsible to: Managing Director
Responsible to: Operations and Systems Manager (OSM)
Supervisory responsibly for: Machinists (Engineering element)
Other contacts: Customers, Visitors, suppliers, work colleagues in Garstang and Sheffield
The engineering manager is a critical role which manages the Health and Safety and reports to the OSM.
It is the Engineer Managers role to make sure the organisation is running as well as it possibly can, with a smooth efficient service that meets the expectations and needs of colleagues, customers and clients.
Engineering Manager duties.
· Comprehends that Health and safety is always our No. 1 priority.
· Ensure all work, procedures and facilities are operated/kept in a manner that is safe, to current regulations, yet always striving to excel at all times, if we can improve simply do it.
· Acts as a role model to all other employees from all aspects of work, timekeeping, attitude and behaviour.
· Cleanliness is a pre-requisite for good housekeeping, ensuring organisation and tidy working practices are observed and maintained is a key element in the role of EM.
· Oversees organization and maintenance of tooling stock and levels.
· Constantly reviews usage of tooling to facilitate best practice
· Ensures operational systems are adhered to by all members of the engineering team at all times.
· Timesheets, route-cards must be accurately completed and overseen to ensure efficiencies are maintained and continuously improved.
· Helps with the planning and scheduling of the production
· Ensures we are adhering to the scheduled/allocated production times.
· Monitors, maintains and strives to improve production standards.
· Provide training and guidance to employees.
· Assists with production to maximise outputs.
· Meet and strive to exceed production targets whilst minimising waste and maintaining quality.
· Encourage a dedicated team culture to increase team performance.
· Responsible for reviewing the current engineering position and adapting plans as required to mitigate risks to employees, cost or schedule.
· Lead continuous improvement activities.
- Lead Quality improvement initiatives.
- Production requirements of ongoing maintenance, machine replacement and unplanned issues.
· Plan and direct the installation, testing, operation and maintenance, of facilities and equipment as per production requirements.
· Monitor and continuously improve machine availability and effectiveness
· Work with suppliers to obtain parts and continuously explore new initiatives.
· Work with the Operations and Systems Manager to coordinate production.
· Ensure all equipment and other assets are fit for purpose in compliance with Quality and Safety Standard and best practices.
· Assists with increasing the technical skills of the production team.
· Ensures maintenance of factory and equipment buildings is up to date and the schedule of maintenance is appropriate and correctly logged
· Ensure storage of data for working methods is carried out in accordance with best practice.
· Ensure system programming and data backup is maintained and stored efficiently and effectively.
· Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions.
· Prepare costings with accuracy and appropriate consideration of yields raw material and machinery/equipment as necessary.
· Maintain the Quality System ISO- 9001:2015 to the standards required.
· Ensure stock rooms are maintained properly with accurate figures and with consideration of needs of items (minimum levels)> Tidy-ness, organisation and methodology is key to this
- Carry out machining of work orders
- Programming mills and lathes etc
- Set-up mills and lathes saws Grinders etc
- Inspection regime to be followed as appropriate
- All necessary paperwork to be completed – Route Cards time sheets etc
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Shares best practice
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract, Permanent
Location: Olmec Machining Workshop, Garstang, Preston, Lancashire PR3.
Contract: Full Time and Permanent after Trial Period.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Please contact email@example.com for further details.
To apply for this position please email a full C.V outlining your skills, qualifications and relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org